Lancashire Coastal Way - Lytham St Annes to Fleetwood

Stormy scenes at Blackpool

Lancashire Coast Way - Lytham to Fleetwood

A 15 mile way along the Lancashire Lancashire Coastal Way between Lytham St Annes and Fleetwood

The route goes through one of the principle holiday resort areas in England and the entire distance is walked along concrete promenades with access to the beach when the tide is out. There are numeroous points of interest including the famous piers and tower at Blackpool and the constant trams that clank along the seafront.

Lytham to Fleetwood Walk - Essential Information

Walk Statistics:

Start point
Lytham View in OS Map | View in Google Map
End Point
Fleetwood View in OS Map | View in Google Map
Total Walk distance
15.0 miles
Walk difficulty
Easy

Accommodation:

Type
Camp site
Name
Highbank Farm, Poulton Le Fylde
Website
Location
View in OS Map | View in Google Map
Description
Highbank Farm, Poulton Le Fylde - a friendly and compact little site.

Transport:

Type
Bus Service
Operator
Blackpool Transport
Service Number
2
Timetable
Description
Blackpool Bus Service from Poulton to Blackpool
Type
Bus Service
Operator
Blackpool Transport
Service Number
7
Timetable
Description
Blackpool Bus Service from Blackpool to Lytham
Type
Bus Service
Operator
Blackpool Transport
Service Number
14
Timetable
Description
Blackpool Bus Service from Fleetwood to Blackpool

Walk Data

Date of Walk
2011-05-20
Start Time
11:00:00.0Z
End time
17:00:00.0Z
Walkers
Griffmonster, Kat
Weather Conditions
Started off overcast with strong westerly winds and constant showers. As the day progressed the sky became brighter with sunny intervals but still with a brisk westerly wind.
Equipment
None

Walk Notes

This was the second section of the Lancashire Coastal Way continuing on from Lytham completed over a weekend break at Lytham. It probably wasn't the best of days to walk this with a strong westerly wind that bought in numerous rain showers and whipped the sea up against the promenade walls presenting some spectacular waves crashing over the defences.

The days walking began along the sandy beach from Lytham. The wind was a menace blowing sand and salt into our eyes until we reached the karting complex at the end of St Annes. Here the rain started coming down giving us a good soaking on our left hand side but this soon dried out once the rain had cleared. The sea provided constant entertainment as it reached high tide with the waves crashing over the defences and soaking the promenade. North of Blackpool, we took to walking the path over the cliffs to keep dry but there were a few hardy fishermen braving the promenade, strategically placed so as not to be battered by the incoming waves. As we headed further north beyond Cleveleys the sky became brighter and the wind calmed a little. Here the lake district stood out in the distance and that sight always brings happy memories of past years walking the hills and mountains. Then as we headed towards Fleetwood we could easily pick out Heysham Nuclear Power Stations and caught sight of the Isle of MAn ferry.

It was unfortunate that Blackpool sea front was in the process of upgrading the tram system with building works and fences all along the prom. On several occasions we had to walk along the roadside rather than the seafront because access was restricted. The same was to be said for Blackpool Tower which was shrouded in scaffolding and tarpaulins as a result of renovations which are to include the new The Blackpool Tower Eye.

We had found that a day ticket on the Blackpool transport system was only £3.90 which got us from Poulton to Blackpool, then onto Lytham for the start of the days walk and also return from Fleetwood to Blackpool and back up to Poulton. Excellent value in my opinion. The driver of the first bus informed us that the ticket also gave us the freedom of the tram network, so when we got to Fleetwood the intention was to return by tram. Not knowing where to get aboard as the main stop was clearly out of use, we asked at a local newsagent who declared 'There hasn't been a tram here for over a year!' Alas, we didn't get our ride on a tram. Maybe another time!

Once we returned from Fleetwood we popped into the Albert and the Lion pub for a quick drink before returning to our campsite. I guess it is a typical Friday evening for Blackpool but it appeared that every single group who entered this premises was either a stag or hen party with the group dressed in custom t-shirts emblazoned with the event details. Amusing! As we left, it was somewhat saddening to see the sun going down to what amounted to a construction site whereas it could have been such a worthwhile site if we could view the sea.

On the Saturday evening we walked into Poulton and enjoyed a drink at the Old Town Hall, The Old Bull and The Bell. Busy little pubs with music and a wide selection of local ales including brews from Phoenix, Copper Dragon. A most enjoyable evening.

Rossall School
Rossall School

Directions

The route to follow is easy, you can not get lost, just keep to the seafront and head northwards. Eventually the coast turns east into Morecambe Bay and ends at the Ferry.

Lytham to Fleetwood

From Lytham follow the sandy beach northwards until the karting track and promenade jut out onto the beach. Here take the promenade and keep walking northwards. Just beyond Rossall School, north of Cheveleys the Wyre Way begins - this can be taken if you want to walk around the Wyre estuary instead of taking the ferry for the next stage of the Lancashire Coastal Way.

The Albert and the Lion Wetherspoons pub Blackpool Tower
On the left The Albert and the Lion Wetherspoons pub; On the right Blackpool Tower

Pubs

The Albert and the Lion, Blackpool

Pub Details

Address
The Albert and the Lion, Blackpool
Location
View in OS Map | View in Google Map
Website
Image of pub

This Wetherspoons pub is the old Pricebusters building which sits on the corner of Adelaide Street West and the Promenade right in the shadow of Blackpool Tower. The pub began trading in July 2010 and its name comes from a 1932 poem by Marriott Edgar which relates the famous story of Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom who took their son to Blackpool Zoo where he taunted a lion named Wallace which promptly ate him. Verses of the poem adorn the walls of the pub along with old memorabilia from Blackpool and Lytham St Annes. As usual with Wetherspoons pubs there are always guest ales on offer.

Review

Some interesting ales on offer from this Wetherspoons establishment including Pendle's Blonde Witch which was very more-ish.

Blackpool Tram
Blackpool Tram

Features

Blackpool Tower View in OS Map | View in Google Map

This iconic structure, 158 m in height and built of cast iron and steel was opened to the public on 14 May 1894. The idea to build the tower was proposed by Blackpool Mayor John Bickerstaffe who had been inspired by a visit to the Great Paris Exhibition in 1889 where he witnessed the Eiffel Tower. It is said that there is a time capsule buried beneath its foundation stone, layed there by James Maxwell and Charles Tuke, the towers' designers. The base of the construction is hidden by a building housing the Blackpool Tower Circus. Renovation of the tower began in 2010 and new features will include the Tower Dungeon which will replace the aquarium and a new observation feature entitled The Blackpool Tower Eye.

Blackpool Tramway View in OS Map | View in Google Map

The famous Blackpool Tramway was first opened in September 1885 and was one of the first practical electric tramways in the world and remains the only surviving first-generation tramway in Britain. The initial line, running from Cocker Street to Dean Street used a Conduit current system which employs a power supply in a channel in the road. With further expansion the lines were converted to overhead wires in 1899. The tramway gained further extensions up to 1926 but then route closures ensued in the 1930's and 1960's The present tramway runs for 11 miles from St Annes through to Fleetwood. The trams are a mixture of single and double deckers with the oldest dating from the 1930s

Blackpool High Tide Organ View in OS Map | View in Google Map

The Blackpool High Tide Organ is a 15 metres tall tidal organ constructed in 2002 as part of "The Great Promenade Show" series of sculptures situated along Blackpool's New Promenade. The sculpture was designed by the artists Liam Curtin and John Gooding, and was constructed in concrete, steel, zinc and copper sheet. The harnessing of wave energy, and the sculpting of the concrete and metals is said to produce a unique interpretation of Blackpool's natural and man-made environments. The instrument is played by the sea at high tide through eight pipes which are attached to the sea wall. These are connected under the promenade to 18 organ pipes within the sculpture. The swell of seawater at high tide pushes air up the sea-wall pipes and causes the organ pipes to sound. The best time to hear the High Tide Organ is 2-3 hours before or after high tide. On very calm days the organ is silent for part of its cycle. The pitches of the pipes are based on the harmonic series in B flat, a naturally occurring series of harmonics. The Tidal Organ is one of a small group of musical instruments that operate without further human intervention alongside the aeolian harp and the wind chime which are the most notable.

Fleetwood Beach Lighthouse View in OS Map | View in Google Map

This 44 foot tall sandstone lighthouse, officially known as the Lower Lighthouse, is situated on Fleetwood sea front. The unusual lighthouse architecture is in neoclassical style with a square colonnaded base, square tower, and octagonal lantern and gallery. Its construction was completed at he same time as the upper Lighthouse in 1840 and the pair are used in conjunction to guide shipping through the treacherous sandbanks of the Wyre estuary.

Fleetwood Pharos Lighthouse View in OS Map | View in Google Map

This 93 foot tall sandstone lighthouse, officially known as the upper Lighthouse, stands in the middle of Pharos Street. The name Pharos was given to it in celebration of the ancient Pharos lighthouse of Alexandria. The construction was completed in 1840 and is used in conjunction with the Beach Lighthouse as a guide for shipping through the treacherous sandbanks of the Wyre estuary. The light from the Pharos should be kept immediately above the light from the Lower for safe passage down the channel. For many years, the lighthouse was painted a striking cream and red colour, but in the late 1970s, the original sandstone was again exposed.

Rossall School View in OS Map | View in Google Map

Rossall School, between Cleveleys and Fleetwood, was founded in 1844 by St. Vincent Beechey as a sister school to Marlborough College which had been founded the previous year. Its establishment was "to provide, at a moderate cost, for the sons of Clergymen and others, a classical, mathematical and general education of the highest class, and to do all things necessary, incidental, or conducive to the attainment of the above objects.

Beach Lighthouse, Fleetwood Pharos Lighthouse, Fleetwood
On the left Beach Lighthouse, Fleetwood; On the right Pharos Lighthouse, Fleetwood

Images

Below are a selection of images taken from from the photo album for this walk. There are links to the entire photo album plus a slideshow of all the images. Feel free to browse through these or click on any image to view a larger version in the Gallery.

Click on an image below to view the Image Gallery

Maps

OS Map of Route

Google Map of Route

Summary of Document Changes

Last Updated: ... 2014-01-25

No comments:

Post a Comment