Route details, maps, pubs, features, local history and folklore for a wide variety of walks focusing primarily on Norfolk and Suffolk

Sunday 6 February 2022

Leiston To Yoxford Circular Walk

Leiston To Yoxford Circular Walk

Exploring the countryside between the East Suffolk villages of Leiston and Suffolk

This is a walk to celebrate the glorious working landscape of East Suffolk. With the option of two pubs at Yoxford this makes for a good days rambling

NOTE

This is a walk summary intended to provide the user with just the essential information in order to navigate the walk route. Fully detailed information notes, refreshment stops and walk features are not included in this. A full write up will be included in the near future.

Leiston To Yoxford Circular Walk - Essential Information

Walk Statistics (calculated from GPX):

  • Start location: Leiston 
  • Distance:   miles (  km)
  • Total Gain:   ft (  metre)
  • Total Descent:   ft (  metre)
  • Min Height:   ft (  metre)
  • Max Height:   ft (  metre)
  • Walk Time:  
  • Walk Grade: Easy
  • Terrain: Footpath, Country Lane

Maps:

The following maps and services can assist in navigating this route. There are links to printed maps and links to downloadable GPX route data for importing into navigational software and apps.

 

Route Verification Details

  • Date of Walk: 01/08/2015
  • Walk Time: 10:30:00 to 16:00:00
  • Walkers: Griff
  • Weather Conditions: warm

Walk Notes

This should be a fairly easy ramble by just following the footpath waymarkers. Despite having walked in this part of Suffolk for two decades I still take a compass as part of my backpack items. It still sits in its packet from the day it was given to me as a birthday gift, faithfully sitting there in case of emergency but only ever used out of curiosity. Until this walk! You wouldnt expect to get lost in Suffolk, least of all in a part of Suffolk regularly walked.

Let me fill you in. The paths in Suffolk are fairly well waymarked but in the height of Summer and together with neglect the footpath on Hawthorn Road in Fordley was distinctively missing from where the OS had marked it. In the end I had to wander around the edge of a field and eventually picked up a footpath which led me onto a track. I had tried to follow this on my OS Explorer map but became somewhat disorientated. I ended up on some high land but unsure of exactly where I was. Hence the map was laid out on the ground, the unused in anger compass employed to get my bearing and looking at the landmarks on the landscape I could determine my exact location. That compass had served its purpose.

Skills of navigation by map and compass are well worth having. Despite the modern day gps utilities, to have the skill to navigate by map and compass is something to fall back on if batteries die or signals are lost. I picked this skill up at a very young age, fascinated by my dads maps and then sailing through map reading tasks I was assigned in the cub scouts. It is not difficult and any dedicated wanderer should have such skills.

I have since passed along this footpath many times and it is difficult to find, but easier coming from the opposite direction. But these little things are all part of a walk. Although I am not a devout Bonnie Tyler fan I can feel like a song coming on, I was lost in Suffolk, In the fields the birds were singing. I was lost in Suffolk, And the day was just beginning. I have to say that the name of Bonnie Tyler has not appear on this site ever before. Maybe some web wandering Bonnie Tyler fan may now visit this page as part of a google search. If that is you can I urge you to walk this route and become lost if Suffolk.

Summary of Document Changes

Last Updated: 2022-02-06

2022-02-06 : Initial publication

Images

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Walk Summaries

Latest walk summaries are basic information sheets for walks that have yet to be fully documented. These provide links to maps, public transport and walks stats, although detailed notes and features are not included.

Latest Walk Summaries

Featured Walk

In Search of Sizewell Chapel

A 10 mile walk following the southern side of the parish boundary of Leiston in Suffolk This walk follows the route of a 17th century peramb...

What is GPX

All you need to know about GPX, electronic mapping and how to use modern apps and mobile devices as navigation devices

Popular Walks

Maps